Home Learning Challenge Examples
Spring 1 Learning - 2019
Father Dominic lead us in our class Rejoice session and taught us about St. Blaise. We liked blessing our friends with the special oil.
We enjoyed our Flat Stan First Aid Training. Thank you to the Friends of St Teresa’s for organising this. We hope the children have shared their learning on this at home.
In Literacy we have completed many of our own calligrams and we are recognising these in print. We have also written acrostic poems and we are revising all year 1 phonics through our spelling work and are working on suffixes.
In Maths we enjoyed using our clipboards (also donated by the Friends last year) to carry out our own tally mark surveys as part of our data handling topic. When it was snowing, we talked about making and sharing out snowballs to help with our division.
In Science it has been lovely to hear the children enthusiastically share their knowledge on habitats and build on this, showing our growth mindset value of curiosity.
We are persevering with our papier mache globes as part of our learning about the World Continents. We are still using our growth mindset value of perseverance and determination to help us with this task. We have been studying and painting abstract art, inspired by Kandinsky, whilst listening to jazz music. We will be continuing this, working in different mediums.
In P.E. we showed our creativity by making up a short dance routine with a partner, adding instruments of our choice and performing it to the class. In Gymnastics we have been learning and revising how to do a safe forward roll with the help of Mr. Lofting.
We really enjoyed playing in the snow with our friends and the dress up as your future career day was lovely.
Autumn 2 Learning - 2018
What a busy half term in Year 2!
- We have enjoyed three marble treat days so far. Well done Year 2!
- We loved dressing up for International Day, looking at flags from around the world and naming the Continents. We also enjoyed raising money for Children in Need.
- In Music we have been following the beat, playing glockenspiels and listening to music from around the World.
- Our Year 4 Buddies taught us speed stacking.
- Father Antonio and Father Dominic lead us in our Rejoice.
- We were proud to lead the school in our Remembrance Day Assembly. We visited the trench outside the Royal British Legion and the War Memorial to offer up our own prayers of thanks.
- In Gymnastics we have been working on pike jumps, star jumps and tuck jumps.
- Dino Capocci, one of our Governors, visited us to tell us about his life and what the Governors of St. Teresa’s do.
- We have been enjoying colour mixing, drawing and painting the view outside our windows and painting in the style of Van Gogh.
- In Science we have continued to explore materials and their uses.
- The trip to the Environment Fair was great, especially touching some of the animals and getting the volume of our screams measured!
- We made up our own plays in groups and showed them to the class.
- We have been trying really hard to use the 5 B’s to help us in our learning.
- In Maths we have been working on different strategies for addition and subtraction and exploring the meaning of equals.
Autumn 1 Learning - 2018
What a great start to Year 2!
We started with drama, by acting out living our Golden Rules at St. Teresa’s. Father Dominic has been in to see us twice for Rejoice sessions. He showed us the Monstrance and then taught us many interesting facts about St. Teresa. Many thanks to Father Dominic for the Rosary Beads. The children enjoy this calm part of our day, praying the rosary together.
The children have shared their Summer Reading Challenge Awards in assembly. Dressing up for Roald Dahl Day was great fun! We really enjoyed sharing The Enormous Crocodile story. We are still waiting to hear about our entries to the Poetry competition.
In Maths we have been ordering numbers, working on mental arithmetic, times tables, place value and regrouping tens and ones.
We met our Year 4 Buddies and look forward to seeing them again soon. We really enjoyed our trip to the R.A.F. museum and working on our Remembrance Day poppy.
Mr. Lofting came and showed his medal from the Chicago Marathon. Congratulations Mr. Lofting! He talked to us about his training schedule, the types of food he needed to eat and how resilience from growth mindset really helps. He then led us in our Daily Mile, which was much harder when jogging!
Well done Year 2!